September 13 is the day to incorporate peanuts or peanut butter in your diet. It is a perfect excuse to eat your favorite peanut snack! Peanuts are such a popular snack, ingredient and Superfood.
Here’s 10 fun facts about peanuts and peanut butter that you may not know:
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
- By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
- Four of the top 10 candy bars manufactured in the USA contain peanuts or peanut butter.
- The average peanut farm is 100 acres.
- Peanuts are the #1 snack nut consumed in the U.S., accounting for two-thirds of the snack nut market.
- Two peanut farmers have been elected president of the USA – Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter.
- There are six cities in the U.S. named Peanut: Peanut, California; Lower Peanut, Pennsylvania; Upper Peanut, Pennsylvania; Peanut, Pennsylvania, Peanut, Tennessee; and Peanut West Virginia.
- According to Little Brownie Bakers, cookie bakers use about 230,000 pounds of peanut butter per week to bake Do-si-dos and Tagalongs. Click here for a peanut butter cookie recipe.
- The average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before he/she graduates high school. Click here for kid’s recipes.
- Peanut butter is consumed in 94 percent of USA households.
For some inspiration, check out our recipe section on our website. Share pictures of how you will be celebrating peanut day! Use the hashtag #NationalPeanutDay on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter through the end of the day Monday, Sept. 14 to be entered for a chance to win one of our five peanut prize packs. Have a peanutty day!