Maligned in the 1980s as a living decoration for clay figurines, chia seeds are experiencing a resurgence as a health food. And they have a perfect partner in peanuts.
Rooted in Ancient Culture
Both peanuts and chia were cultivated by ancient civilizations in Central and South America. Chia was prized for its energy-boosting properties and was used to reduce fevers, quench thirst and ease inflammation. It had such utility that chia was often included in ceremonial offerings. Similarly,peanuts were prized in ancient cultures and high-ranking citizens were entombed with art depicting peanuts.
Packed with Nutrition
Peanuts and chia are both nutrient dense. One ounce (about two tablespoons) of chia seeds has 5 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber, is a good source of calcium, and contains many vitamins and minerals including iron, magnesium and zinc (7-9 percent of the daily recommended value). Chia seeds are also rich in essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6.
Peanuts have more energy-boosting protein than any other nut—7 grams per one-ounce serving. They’re a good source of fiber, contain unsaturated good fats and have a heart-health claim endorsed by FDA: Scientific evidence suggests, but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, including peanuts, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease.
When These Powers Combine…
With so much in common, it’s no wonder products and recipes are popping up that combine these two ancient nutritional powerhouses. Try these options for a perfectly powerful Superfood duo.
- Bliss Nut-Butters combines peanuts, chia seeds and cinnamon.
- Betsy’s Best gourmet peanut butter adds cinnamon and chia to the mix and is also available in one-ounce packages.
- Buff Bake’s base of peanut butter, chia and flax comes in a variety of flavors including red velvet and cinnamon raisin.
- Health Warrior Chia Bar has chia as the first ingredient and includes a chocolate peanut buttervariety.
- Mamma Chia’s Peanut Butter & Sea Salt bar blends creamy peanut butter and sea salt with chia.
- Mighty Nut Powered Peanut Butter includes a flax and chia flavor. (More about peanut powder)
- Wild Ophelia Roasted Peanut Butter Cups include crispy chia seeds.
- Yumbutter adds chia, hemp seeds and goji to peanut butter in a convenient resealable package.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Chia Pudding
- Peanut Butter Banana Chia Oat Bar
- Peanut Butter, Banana and Chia Bagelwich
- Peanut Power Smoothie Bowl
- Vegan Chia Pancakes with Peanut Syrup
- Peanut Butter Power Bar