By: Jada Linton, RDN, LD
You’ve probably been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches since you were a kid, but we’re willing to bet that there a few things that may still surprise you about America’s beloved sandwich.
- 39,303 – the number of PB&Js restaurant chain Which Wich made in one hour to break their own world record of 26,000 in 2015.
- April 2 – Peanut Butter & Jelly Day.
- 90% – How much less a PB&J costs than a sandwich made with almond butter.
- Peanut butter + whole wheat bread makes PB&Js a complete protein for vegetarians. Read more here.
- PB&J can go beyond the sandwich: PB&J Smoothie Bowl, PB&J French Toast, PB&J Muffins, PB&J Quinoa Cookies, and lots more!
- PB&Js are good for the planet. It takes fewer than 3.2 gallons of fresh water to produce one ounce of peanuts, and peanuts add beneficial nutrients to the soil. Find out more about peanuts and sustainability.
- 94% of Americans have at least one jar of peanut butter at home so a PB&J is always at the ready.
- 1901 – Year that the first known reference to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich appeared in the Boston Cooking-School Magazine of Culinary Science and Domestic Economics.
Check out these delicious new ways to enjoy your favorite sandwich:
Peanut Butter & Fruit Stuffed French Toast
Toss your challah bread stuffed with your favorite pb & fruit combo in a french toast mixture for a delicious PB&J upgrade!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cake Pops
By Foodness Gracious
Follow the directions on your favorite boxed cake, then add peanut butter, jelly and cake in your stand mixer, form into balls and dip in chocolate!
Blueberry Peanut Smoothie
Toss in a handful of blueberries to your peanut butter smoothie to experience an exciting twist to your favorite PB & J smoothie!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Burgers with Apple Bacon Jam
By Sammy Approves
Make an apple bacon jam to top your burger. Spread peanut butter on both sides of your buns and grill for deliciousness!
PB & J Pear Bouquet
Top your favorite slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter, pears, and strawberry preserves!
National Peanut Board https://www.nationalpeanutboard.org/recipes/
Foodness Gracious https://foodnessgracious.com/peanut-butter-jelly-cake-pops/