By: Jada Linton, RDN, LD
What do you think of when you hear the word summer? I love the beautiful weather that comes with summer, relaxing by the pool, and of course the food! Let's dive into some great poolside snack ideas. When I think of snacks, I want them to be convenient and tasty. I have compiled a list of my favorite 25 snacks to pack for summer fun.
MyPlate gives a great visual of how to build your meals and you can also use it to make your favorite snack!
Let’s Build a Snack!
Choose from the following snack groups1:
Vegetable + Fruit
Vegetable + Grain
Fruit + Protein
Grain + Protein
7 Snack time tips:1
Make Breakfast Count
Take time to eat breakfast, eat at home or pack breakfast to eat at work.
Pack Snacks Early
Pack once, eat for 5 days- take a bag of healthy snacks to work on Monday.
Swap out Junk
Look for snacks that will keep you full and give you energy. Check out the top 25 snack list below for some ideas!
Eye the Size
Use reusable containers to portion your favorite snack.
Grab Whole Grains
Snacks should be chosen based on whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, dairy, and lean proteins.
Choose Whole Foods
Choose more fresh fruits & vegetables and less packaged items.
Hungry? Nourish Yourself!
Listen to your body, eat if you are hungry for a snack.2
25 Healthy Snack Ideas
- Apple slices + Peanut butter
- Whole grain tortilla chips + Salsa
- Hummus + Carrot sticks
- Plain Rice Cake + Peanut butter
- Air popped popcorn + Sprinkled parmesan cheese
- Granola bar + Apple Slices
- Sliced Strawberries + Peanut butter+ Whole grain toast
- Cantaloupe, Pineapple, Watermelon, Grapes + Vanilla yogurt
- Plantain chips + Guacamole
- Whole grain cracker + Cheese
- Celery Sticks + Peanut butter + Raisins
- Peanut butter and Banana slices wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla
- Greek Yogurt + Fresh Fruit+ Granola
- Frozen fruit slices (berries, grapes, bananas) + Peanut Butter
- Whole grain roll +Deli turkey slices
- Cucumbers & Low-fat cream cheese + Pumpernickel bread
- Whole grain pita + Cheese, heated then dipped in Tomato sauce
- Mozzarella melted over English muffin + Tomato slices
- Toasted whole grain mini bagel + Chicken Salad
- Peanuts + Dried no sugar added fruit
- Hard Boiled egg + Tomato & Cucumber slices
- Red/ yellow bell pepper slices + String cheese
- Homemade trail mix (Peanuts, no sugar added dried fruit, coconut flakes, dark chocolate chips)
- Fruit Smoothie + Peanut Butter
- Baked kale chips + Turkey roll-ups with lettuce
- “10 Tips: MyPlate Snack Tips for Parents.” Choose MyPlate, 18 May 2015, https://www.choosemyplate.gov/ten-tips-snack-tips-for-parents.
- Diet Myths and Facts: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000895.htm. Accessed 20 May 2019.